Sunday, May 17, 2009

Flowering plants

Today on the burned area I spotted prairie smoke, wind flowers (all over), native thistle, silky aster, and meadow rue. These plants were big enough to identify by the leaves. There were lots of other plants coming - and grasses too, of course.

With the tall stuff burned off, I was able to find a large buffalo berry plant, 10 paces west of the turn off on the south drive. I spotted the burned remnants of past year's berries. The new shoots are just starting to show.

The other thing I noticed today, is that with everything burned off, I can really see the ants moving around. Almost everywhere you stand, there are ants scurrying back and forth on the ground. Many of these ants move and store (thereby planting) seeds.

Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment